Part of mental health awareness month is educating and creating awareness of the types of mental health issues someone may experience. There are 7 main types of mental health disorders- listed and described below.
- Symptoms may include: not caring about things you used to, feeling sad, down or hopeless most days, weight gain or loss, sleeping too much or not enough, fatigue, feeling guilty or worthless, poor memory, confusion, restlessness, thoughts of death or suicide
- Anxiety disorders
- Symptoms may include: feeling worried, fear, being and feeling on edge, tired, muscle tension, stomach aches, headaches, chest tightness, feeling embarrassed, sweating, shaking, rapid heartbeat,
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Symptoms may include: repetitive thoughts, visuals, urges, repetitive behaviors, mental acts, obsessions and compulsions that are excessive
- Bipolar disorder
- Symptoms may include: depression, mania, feeling emotions abnormally and persistently, feelings of superiority, restlessness, excessive thoughts and talking, racing thoughts, short attention span, argumentative
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (OCD)
- Symptoms may include: feeling numb, being overwhelmed, avoiding certain people or places, reliving the trauma through memories, nightmares, or flashbacks, intense feelings, insomnia
- Symptoms may include: hallucinations, delusions, unclear thoughts, not difficulty communicating, lack of emotion, poor hygiene, lack of interest in activities and people, sitting still, learning and memory issues, anxiety, depression
- Personality disorders
- Symptoms may include: mood swings, irritability, emotional outbursts, social anxiety, wanting attention, lack of emotional control, impulsive, externalizing problems
Symptoms of mental disorders vary depending on the disorder. If you believe you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it may be beneficial to speak to your doctor.
If you or someone you know are in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention 1-800-273-8255 or visit http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org