Almond milk is a great dairy alternative and can be used in a wide variety of recipes, in lattes or alone as a drink and is easy to make- follow this step by step guide to see how I made it:
- 1 cup soaked almonds
- 4 cups of cold water
- pinch of salt
- 2 dates (optional)
- 1 tbs vanilla (optional)
- cocoa powder (optional for chocolate almond milk)
- Soak almonds overnight in the fridge in filtered water for at least 3 hours or overnight, I found best results when soaked for about 10 hours.
- Drain the water the almonds were soaking in and give them a quick rinse.
- Add to blender and pulse to break the almonds down.
- Add the water and blend for 3 minutes on medium high or until the almonds are very fine and barely visible, this is when you add the salt and optional ingredients.
- Strain the milk in a cheese cloth, removing all of the almond pulp.
- Transfer to a sealable container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.
This recipe can be made with any nut of your choice: cashew, walnut, coconut, the options are endless. Some of my favorite uses for almond milk are lattes, cereal, as a drink with cookies, in creamy soups and oatmeal.
Directions with pictures below
- Start by measuring your ingredients.
2. Soak almonds overnight.
2. Drain and rinse almonds then add to blender to roughly chop.
3. Add water and remaining ingredients then blend.
4. Strain the milk into a separate container, removing the almond pulp.
5. Use in your favorite recipes in place of cow’s milk.